Forest County Community Resources

Click on the links below to jump right to the section you're looking for!

 Energy Cell Phone
 Food Clothing

Housing AODA



Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

Assistance includes regular heating and electric assistance, as well as specialized services including emergency fuel assistance, counseling for energy budgets, and emergency furnace repair and replacement.

Energy Services for Forest County

300 South Lake Ave

Crandon, WI 54520


Apply online here (will need valid e-mail address and Social Security Number to apply)

Please click HERE for eligibility requirements. 

Back to top of page

Emergency Assistance

Primarily for housing crisis situations but also has energy assistance component.

Go to "Other Resources" section on this page or click HERE for more information.

WHEAP Heat for Heroes

Provides energy assistance to Veterans.

Ph: 800-891-9276

Cell Phone


Provides free or reduced cell phone and/or land line service to eligible households in Wisconsin. There are a number of national providers for Lifeline including Safelink and Q-Link. Both have service areas in Wisconsin but that does not mean that the cell coverage is very good. It is advised you research HERE for the best provider in your area.

Eligibility Requirements: must be a recipient of one of the following public assistance programs:

  • BadgerCare
  • Food Share
  • Medical Assistance
  • Social Security (SSI)
  • Wisconsin Heating and Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)
  • Wisconsin Homestead Credit (Scheduled "H" on the WI Tax Return
  • Wisconsin Works (W-2 Program)

Emergency Broadband Benefit Program - Forward Health WI

Temporary program to help families and households afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. Provides a discount of up to $50 per month toward broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. To learn more including eligibility and enrollment information call 833-511-0311 or click HERE.

Back to top of page




Christian Thrift Store, Inc.

4529 N. Branch Street

Wabeno, WI 54566

Ph: 715-473-6509

Back to top of page


Drug Rehab Guide for Addiction & Mental Health

Guide to answer questions regarding drug rehab center facilities including their focus, treatment options, accreditation, and cost.

Back to top of page

Wisconsin Rehab List

Guide to all inpatient and outpatient alcohol and drug addiction rehabilitation facilities in Wisconsin.


Wisconsin Judicare

Legal aid office for low-income residents. Their main office is located in Wausau but they provide services to residents throughout the northern Wisconsin area including Forest County.


401 5th Street

Suite #200

Wausau, WI 54403

Ph: 715-842-1681 or 800-472-1638

Back to top of page

Lawyer Referral & Information

Legal hotline offers general legal information and lawyer referral through the State Bar of Wisconsin. 


Ph: 800-362-9082


Medical Assistance

The IM Central Consortium administers a number of medical assistance programs including BadgerCare Plus, Family Planning, Community Waivers, Nursing Home and Elderly-Blind-Disabled medicare programs.

Forest County Social Services
200 E. Madison Street
Crandon, WI 54520

Ph: 888-794-5722

Back to top of page

Forest County Public Health

Provides public health services to residents of Forest County. Open Monday - Friday from 7:30am - 5:00pm

1st Floor of Courthouse

200 E Madison St.

Crandon, WI 54520

Ph: 715-478-3371


Emergency Assistance

Primarily for housing crisis situations.

Go to "Other Resources" section on this page or click HERE for more information.

Frederick Place

Homeless shelter serving Oneida, Vilas, Langlade, Lincoln, and Forest Counties that provides safe housing and basic needs to individuals and families in need.

204 West Fredrick Street

Rhinelander, WI 54501


Appointments for admission interviews may be made by calling 715-369-9777

Back to top of page


Provides section 8 voucher program. It is a federally funded housing program that provides rent subsidies to low income families, senior citizens, and handicapped and disabled individuals.

212 N. Lake Avenue

Crandon, WI 54520

Ph: 715-478-3781

New Hope Shelter

Provides short term relief to families, single men, and single women who are experiencing homelessness.


601 N. Summit Ave

Crandon, WI 54520

Ph: 715-478- 3669

Catholic Charities Bureau

Income-based housing property listing. 


Northwest Connection Family Resource Center 

Assistance with child care referrals for the 14 northern counties in Wisconsin is available here, along with information on how to become a licensed child care provider.

Ph: 800-733-5437

Wisconsin Child Care Provider Listing

The State of Wisconsin has an online directory of all regulated child care providers (certified, licensed family and licensed group centers).

Back to top of page

Wisconsin Shares (Child Care Assistance)

Wisconsin Shares is Wisconsin's child care subsidy program that helps families and caretakers pay for child care.


The service provider for Wisconsin Shares in Oneida County is:

Forest County Social Services

400 E Madison St.

Crandon, WI 54520

You can apply in person, over the phone at 888-445-1621 FREE, or online at 


Wisconsin RideShare

Free service that brings commuters together for carpooling and bicycle commuting.

Ph: 800-455-7665

Job Access Loan

A short term loan program for individuals with minor children to meet emergency needs related to employment.  

Forward Service Corporation

Application and Resource Hot Line

Phone: 1-855-733-1311

Back to top of page

Non-Emergency Medical Transportation

Transportation service for non-emergency medical appointments for recipients of medical assistance. You can get rides to/from non-emergency medical appointments or you can get reimbursed for your trips to/from non-emergency medical appointments.

To schedule a ride call: 866-907-1493

Or schedule through the member portal

Must call 2 days in advance.

Trip logs can be found


No-interest vehicle repair and purchase loans across the service area. You need to be low-income to be eligible for a WETAP loan. You also need to

  • be employed or have a job offer
  • have car insurance
  • have a valid Wisconsin driver’s license

Other Resources

Wisconsin Works (W-2)

W-2 is a time-limited program that provides temporary cash assistance and case management services to low-income parents and pregnant women. W-2 is a work program for adults willing to engage in work activities; it is not an entitlement.

Forward Service Corp - Forest County

201 North Lake Avenue

Unit B

Crandon, WI 54520

Ph: 715-478-6277

Application and Resource Hot Line

Phone: 1-855-733-1311

Free Taxes

Every household with a simple tax return, can file federal and state taxes for free through 

Back to top of page

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline


** Effective 07/16/22, call 988

Resource available by call, text and online chat for anyone who needs support for a suicidal, mental health and/or substance use crisis. 


ph# 534-202-5438 

from Noon – Midnight daily

Talk to someone who is there to listen and offer support.

This is a non-emergency service, free and confidential.


Address: Wood County Human Services - River Block

111 W. Jackson St., 2nd Floor, Wisconsin Rapids WI 54495  

Phone: +1 (715) 421-8608 8


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software